Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Finally - Lavash Crackers!

So ages ago, I promised I would post about the incredible Lavash Crackers I created. I know you’ve been saying to yourself, “When the heck is she going to post about those Lavash Crackers? What is up with that? She said she would post the recipe! Unreliable bloggess!” (Or maybe not.)

At any rate, below are the pictures and recipe for these amazing, melt in your mouth, uber crackers. I’ve always called them Lavish Crackers which is what they are – lavish, but the correct term is Lavash. These crackers originate in Armenia. I was inspired to learn to make them myself because I pay nearly an arm and a leg (where does that saying come from – was there a time when you could sell your arm and leg for big money?) for them at my favorite deli where I go to buy coconut gouda (I kid you not – it is heaven in a cheese).

Here is my annotated recipe (with pictures!) adapted from one I found in Organic Gardening magazine.


Lavash Crackers

1 ½ cups flour
1 t salt
½ t yeast
½ cup water
1 T honey or agave nectar
1 T olive oil
Kosher salt

1. Preheat oven to 280 degrees. (I know this sounds like an odd temperature and I’m guessing that’s because it’s translated from an oven in Armenia, but go with it.)

2. In a mixing bowl, stir together flour, salt, yeast, water, honey, and olive oil. Using dough attachment, mix on medium speed for about 10-12 minutes until dough is smooth and stretchy. (If you don’t have a mixer – so sad, too bad – go borrow one. These crackers are worth it, but you can’t make them without one unless you have much stronger arms than I, which you probably do, but even then, no, you can’t make them without the mixer.) Let dough rest 10 minutes. (Mine rested more like 43 minutes because I was distracted by a ruckus in the garden when the chickens got loose and found my sweet peas. I had to round them up and then go secure the fence. The lavash crackers were fine with this.)

3. Roll out half dough on a floured surface with a rolling pin to about 1/8 inch thickness and place on the back of an upside down cookie sheet sprayed with oil. (I used coconut oil spray, but you could use olive oil also, which would be delish and maybe more appropriate than coconut oil in terms of what you might naturally find growing in Armenia.)


4. Pulling gently from center, stretch dough to the edges of the pan. Spritz quickly with water and partially bake for 3 minutes. (The stretching was the fun part. I had nothing to “spritz”, so I just used my hand and splashed the crackers. Seemed to work, but next time I’m not going to be so lazy and I’ll go locate my mister I use on baby plants.)

5. Remove from oven and let cool. Top with salt or other toppings (rosemary?) and cut with a pizza cutter into 6 inch squares. (Mine were cut a bit smaller – more like 4 inches. I liked the one with just salt on best. The rosemary didn’t attach itself and it all fell off when I put the crackers in a canister anyway.)


6. Place a layer of parchment over the dough and top with a second sheet pan. 


Bake between sheet pans for about 20 minutes at 280 degrees or until crisp. (Be patient, but not too patient – they can easily burn. The ones I took out early were on the chewy side but still tasted divine.)


Like this post? Want more recipes and ideas like this? Check out my book!




2 comments:

  1. These sound incredible! I'm literally drooling. Also, I've heard of coconut gouda. I'm going to have to find some.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are worth the effort - I promise! And coconut gouda - oh my, worth walking the world for.

      Delete